Article Tools

Austrians Abroad: National Council Election at the End of September 2019

Published: July 4, 2019; 21:49 · (Vindobona)

On 29 September 2019, the Austrian National Council is expected to be elected. Austrians living abroad have the opportunity to take part in the election by postal vote. This is possible if you do not have your main residence in Austria and if you have reached the age of 16 by election day at the latest and have registered in the electoral register of an Austrian municipality by 9 July 2019 at the latest.

As an Austrian abroad, you can also request an election card from an Austrian representation abroad. / Picture: © Parlamentsdirektion / Matthias Weinlich

If you are not at your main residence on election day, you can exercise your right to vote by postal vote.

You will need a voting card.

You can apply for this card orally or in writing (by post, fax, e-mail or via the Internet mask of the municipality) from the municipality in whose electoral register you are registered, starting on the day of the call for elections. Applications may not be made by telephone. You can apply for the election card in writing up to the fourth day before the election day - if a personal handover of the election card to a person authorised by you is possible, up to the second day before the election day -, orally up to the second day before the election day, 12.00 o'clock.

As an Austrian abroad, you can also request an election card from an Austrian representation abroad.

If you are not registered as a voter in any municipality, you must submit a corresponding application for registration in the respective register.

You can use one of the forms provided for this purpose. If you wish, you can use one form to apply for entry in both voter records (voter records) or also for whereabouts. You only have to tick the corresponding box on the form with the - long - designation "Antrag auf Eintragung in die (bzw. Verbleib in der) Vählerevidenz/Europa-Wählerevidenz für österreichische Staatsbürger, die außerhalb der Bundesgebietes leben" (Application for registration in the electoral register (or stay in the electoral register) for Austrian citizens living outside the federal territory). The form is available from all Austrian municipalities.

The mailing of the election card begins just three weeks before election day.

You can cast your vote as soon as you receive your ballot card and do not have to wait until election day.

The voting card is a lockable envelope. The voting card contains the official ballot paper and a rubberised envelope. On the voting card you will find instructions on how to vote by mail. In addition, an information sheet is attached to the voting card.

You can exercise absentee voting by

> first remove the official ballot paper and the rubberised voting envelope from the voting card, then fill in the official ballot paper personally, unobserved and uninfluenced, place the completed official ballot paper in the rubberised voting envelope, tape it and put it back into the voting card;
> then declare on oath by signing the ballot card that you have filled in the official ballot paper personally, unobserved and uninfluenced, and finally, seal the ballot card and ensure that the ballot card arrives at the responsible district election authority in good time;
> You can, for example, deposit the voting card in a post office mailbox, hand it in at a post office or hand it in directly at the responsible district electoral authority.

The cost of postage is borne by the Federal Government, regardless of whether you submit your electoral card at home or abroad.

Fast News Search
Read More